Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Hear my body speak

My body, my image.
No, let's take it back, more like 
SOCIETY'S body,
Society's image.
But hold on .. I don't understand  
How did my body and self image, 
Then become characterized
By strangers we meet on the street
Or on baseball stands?


How is my body
My image..
JUDGED by people who will never know
If I've had enough to eat  
How does my body 
MY image 
Become an enticing topic
At health club retreats
Or vegan meet and greets.?


"My body is my IMAGE
my image is my BODY" 
So it's said 
But is that what gives you the right
To judge me every time
I walk into a hotel lobby?
Does my body define me or 
Who I could be or
Who I am yet to be?


Is my image what makes me so different from you
Or is it the fear of my body, 
Or image,
Not being SOCIETY'S norm what scares you?
Like I said my body my image 
How about THAT.

-by Matilda Rutendo Matangaidze-

No comments: