Saturday, June 25, 2016

Adopting a simple spiritual strategy : 3 basic questions

I've been doing a lot of thinking, well, not a lot as such. I just want to share my thoughts on some things we can improve on as Christians in this busy world we live in. It's just three of them.

  • How can I stop worrying and overthinking about situations solely in the Lord's control?
You don't have that dream job you want..as yet. Your relationships seem to be breaking apart day by day. Your health seems to be deteriorating. You feel depressed, hopeless and on the verge of ending it all. As humans, we tend to overthink everything and anything to the point of dejection and failure to progress. We fail to realise that as soon as the Lord is made aware of what's disturbing us, help is on the way. Actually, all the times we have told Him, he has already known and knows what He will do. BUT: He needs to see that we are proactive, you know, forward thinking. He needs to see us work hard to earn what we deserve. Moreover, He needs our faith to be unwavering, unmoved. After all, God helps those who helps themselves!

  • How can I embrace the art of humility when asking for forgiveness?
"I don't need to apologise. I'm not in the wrong."
"This 'sorry' business isn't my thing."
"I'll give her/him about a month to cool off, then we're good".
Sounds familiar right? Ego, pride and selfishness are some of the major vices that consume us to the point of breaking relationships. We can always pray about it. Put yourself in the other person's shoes, empathy. When you feel that surge to avoid saying sorry, take a step back, allow yourself to be considerate, humble yourself. It won't take anything away from you. Even as you are a single being, asking for forgiveness will always be a two way process: realising how the other person must feel, and realising what you must do about it..and doing it.

  • How can I be more selfless in my prayer requests, to think and pray for my neighbour before myself?
We all know how to pray, yes. But do we know how to include the needs of others before our own? Or is it just all about us? Yes we have a direct relationship with God but let's remember that even in our strength, someone else is on the brink of giving up. Someone is grieving. Someone is weak. Even if we don't know them, they need a simple thoughtful prayer from us. So yes, we can pray about our needs but its more uplifting if a neighbor will be blessed because of your prayers.

No comments: